Automatic Transfer Switch looks tricky, but it's easy to setup. Do you know which ones are the best solar automatic transfer switch unit?
We have narrowed down a small list based on their functionality, size and cost.
Let's check them out
3 Best Solar ATS To Buy
MOES Dual Power Controller Automatic Transfer Switch [50A 5500 Watt]
Why Pick This One? It's very easy to setup an simple AC to DC power switching unit for your solar system! Just plug n play, and it works for 12V, 24V, and 48V solar power or wind power configurations. The biggest benefits are:
Use For Many Things: Home, TV, Boat, Large facilities
Peace Of Mind: Go on a out of town vacation without worry battery running out due to no sunlight. If it does, it switches to primary on grid AC power to keep your power system working.
Auto Distinguish: Auto distinguish between DC 12/24/48V,AC 100-120V 60HZ / 220-240V 50HZ
Fail Safe Mode - User can program low/high voltages cutoff/resume to trigger the switching. Also define Cut-Off and Recovery Voltages to protect circuits. Suitable for Sealed,Gel,Lead-acid,Lithium battery and so on.
- Rated Power:5.5kw(110V) or 11KW(220v),
- Input Voltage:Auto distinguish:AC 100-120V or AC 220-240
- Output Voltage:Auto distinguish:AC 100-120V or AC 220-240
- Transfer time:Inverter transfer to public power ≤ 10ms,Public power transfer to inverter ≤ 16ms
- LCD display:Working status of Public power,inverter and battery
- System voltage:Auto distinguish:12V or 24V or 48V
- BAT.Low Cut-down:Default 11V/22V/44V,adjustable
- BAT.Low Recovery:Default 13.5V/27V/54V,adjustable
- Battery type:Suitable for Sealed,Gel,Lead-acid Lithium battery and so on. as long as the voltage of your battery are within the voltage ranges in the followings.9-17V at 12V system;18-30V at 24V system;30-60V at 48V system.
- Application:Off-grid solar or wind system
Why Pick This One? The Go Power TS-30 can power switch between two separate 120 volt AC input sources. Unlike other lower cost ATS, the TS-30 works as advertised with a couple confusing instructional steps but it's easy once you figure it out. It's not as sophisticated to solar as the last one, but you can hook up multiple inputs.
- Can handle 2 sources of 30 amps at one time
- Single relay
- Works with inverter, shore power or generators without running all new wires everywhere from the inverter
- Delay switch for use with generators
- Easy installation
- Voltage: 120 VAC
- Amps: 30 Amps
- Dimensions: 9.65”L x 7.28”W x 4.75”H
- Weight: 3 lbs.
Why Pick This One? If you need to install a 15A Inline Transfer Relay for switching between shorepower and inverter AC source, the Xantrex makes it easy for you with plug and play simple connectors.
Works With A Timer: Use solar power then switch back to AC power 50/50 to give your overall solar power system a break without running on battery all the time
No More Unplugging - Just turn off the inverter, and everything switch to primary AC power connected to the grid without unplugging or reconfigure bunch of other cords.
- Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 HZ
- Amps (In & Out): 15 Amps
- Transfer Time: 80 ms
- Dimensions: 3.78”L x 2.93”W x 2.75”H
- Weight: 1.4 lbs.
What is ATS In A Solar Power System
Automatic Transfer System (ATS) can switch your power supply system between off grid and on grid when it senses circuit anomaly. It automatically switches to on grid power when the solar battery is running low to keep the system running. It's basically a fail safe AC & DC power switching unit.
Why Do You Need An ATS In Your Power System
An ATS unit is a important component of your overall power system design to prevent total loss of power in case of equipment failure between DC (Solar battery) and AC power (on-grid)
Here is an example why you need it:
If you're out of town and no one is home to monitor anything. The ATS unit ensures total power protection of your home to keep all major appliances such as refrigerator and air condition unit running even if solar battery power runs out due to equipment failure, multiple days of no sunlight or other factors.
What Could Happen Without It:
No sunlight for multiple days, batteries died, and everything shuts down without restoring back to an reliable power source in your home and you're on the other side of the country for a business trip. You have no idea what has happened at home.
Upon return, your discovered that the house temperature is out of order, food rotting in the refrigerator, home security was off...etc
That's why you need it.
How Does An Automatic Transfer Switch Work With A Generator
An automatic transfer switch connects your standby power to your home, which can be a dedicated power backup generator or batteries.
When the transfer switch detects a power outage, it switches your home to generator power. Later, when the power is restored it will switch back to grid power.